In January 2021 Pop Up Projects celebrates 10 years of transforming children’s lives through literature. To mark this special occasion, we’re commissioning and publishing Ten Stories to Make a Difference: ten original short stories for young readers by ten writers and ten illustrators. To make this venture especially unique, five well-known illustrators will illustrate stories by five emerging writers, and five emerging illustrators will illustrate stories by five well-known writers.
Each story will explore or touch on the theme of difference. Stories can be inspired by the subject in any way – they might explore diversity or transformation, otherness or other worlds – wherever the writers and illustrators want to go! Each story will be 10 pages long, between 750 and 3,000 words, professionally edited and art directed, beautifully designed and lovingly hand-printed in a special small print-run limited edition. They’ll be launched at our 10th birthday party, and sold as part of our campaign to raise £1million to engage 100,000 more young readers, writers and illustrators over the next five years.
Pop Up will pick three winning entries to take forward, Each winning entrant will:
- Receive a £500 fee for their story
- Be matched with a published children’s illustrator, who will illustrate their story
- Get time with a publishing editor and art director to perfect their story
- Be published in a short print run, and receive 10 copies of their book
- Feature in a major promotional campaign as well as at Pop Up’s 10th birthday party