With Jane Buckley and Sara Ogilvie
In this Masterclass, you will discover the picture book process and industry with two experienced professional collaborators from both the illustrator and art director perspective
For any queries, please email us at email@example.com
During this Masterclass, you will learn:
- The benefits of observational drawing to improve capturing facial expressions and body language through in-class drawing practice
- How to understand techniques to further develop expression and relatable personality qualities for characters in a picture book context
- How to effectively use observational study (from your homework task from the first session) to create believable characters – e.g protagonists, adversaries, sidekicks
Bring a sketchbook and learn how to use observational drawing of body language and facial expressions to create authentic characters and scenes with humor and empathy, and the importance of sketching when producing these drawings. You will explore how to provide context when drawing from observation, and how to bridge drawing from observation into illustrative narrative.
About this Masterclass:
Who: All aspiring illustrators, 18 and over, with an interest in children’s book illustration and for more experienced artists looking to try something new
This event has already happened
About Pathways Plus
Pathways Plus is a series of Masterclasses and Short Courses for all aspiring illustrators, delivered by award-winning illustrators and highly-experienced children’s book publishers. The courses provide an amazing opportunity to learn how to illustrate children’s books from the best in the industry as well as giving participants a real insight into the world of children’s publishing.
Pathways Plus courses can be taken as one-offs or as a package and have been developed by the same team who created Pathways Into Children’s Publishing, a unique, highly-acclaimed two-year professional training programme for aspiring and emerging illustrators.
All Pathways Plus courses involve:
- professional advice
- shared insights and experiences
- practical tasks
- creative guidance
- interaction with tutors and participants
- critical feedback